Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Something blue

This small cobalt blue bottle had tricky highlights and shadows, as there was no true white or black present. Colored pencil, 5 1/2" x 8". I was glad for the instant color variations and saturation I could achieve with colored pencil (though moving so quickly I broke my purple lead, and didn't want to take the time to sharpen it). The same bottle in watercolor might be interesting to compare for speed and saturation, but should I repeat myself? Each time I wonder that, I think about Monet painting haystacks, and the Rouen cathedral facade... over and over again... changing the lighting is all it takes to make a subject new.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa, I found your blog through the Twenty Minute Challenge Blog, I love this colour pencil bottle you did. I can't believe you did it in 20 minutes? I'm really impressed! I often don't think I have time for a colour pencil piece as it would take so long to shade in, but you have proved it can be done, and it looks great!

    Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    Sketching Girl
    http://sketchinggirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete