Sunday, March 13, 2011

Out the window

With all the still life and random images sketched since January, I have really been aching to try some landscapes with this restrictive 20 minute timeframe. The snow is finally melting here and the view from my studio window (drawn quickly in pen and painted with watercolor, 5 1/2" x 8 1/2") is starting to look like a slight promise of spring.

Though not consciously done, I really like the loose Fairfield Porter-type feeling achieved here. He's one of my favorite artists of the modern era; with such vibrant expressive interiors and beautiful light-filled landscapes, often using analogous color schemes (art lesson for the day!) Even though what I do here is small beans, I still try to absorb as much greatness from the masters as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment