Monday, March 28, 2011

Details in a Jiffy

Practicing my quick travel journal sketching process for this 20 minute sketch here, and with the help of a good photograph, pretending I am in Florence, Italy (instead of cold upstate New York). Watercolor and water soluble pencil, 5 1/2" x 8". I used a large mop brush to put a very quick sky wash in the background, then went in with a pink pencil to add some detail. Color is fun used in surprising ways once in a while, so a smaller brush worked for the teal and purple details. If this was in my travel journal, I would add my text above the building, something like: "We're having a wonderful time in Florence. Continually impressed by the things I have only seen in art history textbooks before. Can one ever get tired of good art, architecture, and design?"

No comments:

Post a Comment