Sunday, May 1, 2011

May Day hat design

Happy May Day! In the 15th century, the nobles would go out for a ride "a-Maying", all dressed in green. If you didn't wear green, you were the time period's equivalent of a loser! Today I did see the lovely bright spring green on all the trees fully in bud. Even though I was so inspired, I ran out of time for the color portion of my sketch.

I did another gridded design (pencil and pen, approx 5 1/2" x 6"). I have hopes of it becoming an embroidery pattern in the near future, perhaps as a companion piece to the "Summer Wreath" from the other day. I love lilies so incorporated those, as well as some summery feminine touches like the full brimmed hat, a pair of gloves, and a necklace. The color might be another 20 minutes to do, but the stitching will take a few days, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment